Monday 19 October 2015

10-20 Shot Process

Link to my video - https://vimeo.com/142418331

For this project, we were told to create a process showing how something progresses from A to B, this work was a part of Production Technology. My idea for this was to film my Dad doing some artwork. He draws using Pyrography, which is a method of drawing an image on wood by burning the surface. My reflection on this project is that after I had filmed and edited this video I found it to be quite uninteresting because of the lack of music and pace. I think if I had added music I would have made a better edit because I could have created this pace and made it more interested to watch. There are quite a few mistakes with this video in the production and post production stage.

In retrospect I think there is a mistake with the two shots at 1:28 and 1:29, I don't think these two shots flowed well together. The cut between the shots seems very sudden and I don't feel as if they flowed naturally enough, this may be because of how the camera was placed at the back of his hand to begin with, and then cut to a shot of the side of his hand. There is a continuity error here and it makes the shot feel unnatural.

The mistake between the shots at 1:21 and 1:23 is a very small mistake but a mistake like this can throw the viewer off the video and potentially ruin the pace which is being set. Here, I had accidentally left a very small gap between shots and something like this can go unnoticed when viewing your timeline. We see a very short black screen and it's very noticeable, in future I now know I should check through the video timeline to ensure there are no small gaps between shots, and I should also use the Ripple Delete feature when using Adobe Premier. Ripple Delete can be done when there is a gap between shots, if you right click and press Ripple Delete it will cut the empty space between shots by adding the shots together.

In the beginning of the video I think that the shots flow well together nicely. None of the shots are too long and they have a even pace to them and it's very quick into the actual process. I think that the shots had been cut to the right moment of motion so nothing jumped forwards and we see everything as it progresses in time. Originally I had edited this particular shots together and they were really long and this again made the process feel like it wasn't natural, but I was able to edit the clips down nicely so that they were shorter and the timing of the video felt a lot more realistic after I had cut them down.

One of the difficult things about creating this video was that the shots were very long and I had not originally anticipated this, a lot of the shots were around 10-25 seconds long each and this obviously becomes uninteresting for the viewer. I found it difficult to cut down these shots because it would affect the continuity of the video, as one of the main points of this project was to demonstrate our use of continuity in our own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment