Tuesday 27 October 2015

Resarch Into Pacing

I have been looking into pacing, and I have found a webpage which provides a lot of useful information about it.

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2233986

I found this website to be useful because it gives examples of fast and slow pacing, and names some directors who are known for using good pace in their editing. One of the most notable things I have learnt from reading this webpage is that pacing does affect the viewer physically. For example, an extremely fast edit will excite the viewer and keep them interested in what is happening on screen. So, if I was creating an action scene in my own work and I wanted it to be exciting for the viewer I would need to make the edit fast paced to keep the viewer wanting to see more. Researching more into pacing will help further my understanding of it, and by finding examples of directors who use pacing I can learn from them and try to apply similar skills to my own work.

I have learnt that slow pacing does not have to mean the scene has no action, because slow pacing can be good for building up tension. I find that a good example of this is a scene from The Dark Knight (2008) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP5YbXb6lFs

This scene begins with very quiet music and the dialogue with the Joker in the beginning isn't that dramatic, but as the clips cuts tension is built as the music slowly becomes louder. The scenes gradually become more and more intense because they are showing different situations escalate at the same time. The shots aren't cut quickly and the edit is very slow, but this does not affect the visual content being shown and the slow edit is what makes the scene intense.


No comments:

Post a Comment